16-19 Bursary

There are two bursaries available to help support young people staying on at our Sixth Form.

Vulnerable Bursary

This bursary is up to £1,200 a year and is paid weekly. It will be awarded to:

- Young people aged 16 and 17 in care.

- Care leavers aged 16, 17 and 18.

- Young people aged 16, 17 and 18 in receipt of Income Support, or Universal Credit in place of Income Support, in your own right

- Young people aged 16, 17 and 18 in receipt of Employment and Support Allowance or Universal Credit and Disability Living or Personal Independence Payments in your own right

Proof will be required to apply for this type of bursary. This will be in the form of a letter from your local authority showing you’re in care or a care leaver or a letter from the Department of Work and Pensions showing the benefits that you get.

Discretionary Bursary

This is available for parents who are on low incomes and whose parents/guardians are in receipt of any of the following:

- Income Support

- Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA)

- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

- Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999

- The guaranteed element of State Pension Credit

- Child Tax Credit provided they are not entitled to Working Tax Credit

- and have an annual income (as assessed by HM Revenue & Customs) that does

- not exceed £16,190*

If you are eligible then you will need to supply evidence (receipt of benefit and/or P60, Tax Credit Award Notice or evidence of self-employment income). Grants will be conditional on attendance, behaviour and effort. If you wish to see further details of the scheme visit: www.education.gov.uk         

Payment Conditions

All bursary payments will be paid directly into a student’s bank account.

Eligible students must be under 19 on 31 August 2019. Students aged 19 or over are only eligible to receive a discretionary bursary if they are continuing on a study programme they began aged 16 to 18 (‘19+ continuers’) or Have an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP).